As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Parsippany, NJ, you are going to soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 per year making it one ofthe best paying medical vocations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Parsippany, NJ
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a school, it is important to consider all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school thatfulfills all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full variety of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders so it is important that yourcourse work is very extensive rather then too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another important variable you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schoolsdedicate significantly more time on your actual clinical trainingas compared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes may varysignificantly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online classes can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often pushed aside as students undertake their training and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing that you should check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their evaluations were , and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Parsippany, NJ
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels
- Courses taught by highly respected faculty members who are experts in their fields
- Competency-based ExcelTrack™ Programs may allow you to earn your degree faster and for less money
- Full range of student services: individual educational advising, hands-on learning through interactive online classroom, no-cost tutoring in math, science and writing
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting ofpredominantly classroom training and with the second year spent working onhands on training in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics , gerontology,clinical terminology , and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simplywant a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapistlaunched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers will need tobecome certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In New Jersey, licensing is administered by the Occupational Therapy Advisory Council. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of themand can include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be examinedand be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to containquite a few forms to fill out. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites . It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through thepaper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcriptsrequired ; notarized signatures and several States will require you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needsthat will be different in comparison to the previous patient . You could be working for an outpatient facility with infants who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills , a few of the basics like following direction , keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, because you will havemany instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Parsippany, NJ that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Parsippany, NJ reviewed by Kylie DUNN on June 9.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.