When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Pearland, TX, you should soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it one of the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pearland, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a training program, it is important to analyze all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain you will be taught the full range of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders therefore it is important that your schooling is very extensive instead of too focused on a particular discipline.
Another really important component to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual practical experience in comparison with others. In cases where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online training can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are sometimes driven aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you might want to look into prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many students finish the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Pearland, TX
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Occupational Therapy Aide
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Substance Abuse
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain numerous forms to fill out. Do not buy these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many reputable web sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needs which may be very different the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, because you will encounter many instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Pearland, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pearland, TX reviewed by Pete CARTER on June 15.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.