Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Pflugerville, TX, you will quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the highest paying health care careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pflugerville, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a school, be sure that you think about all of your alternatives to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident you will learn about the full variety of competencies necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders making it very important that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another significant feature you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual practical training when compared to other training programs. In situations where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of can vary greatly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for many people online training can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are oftentimes pushed aside as students pursue their education and learning and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you need to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many people complete the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Pflugerville, TX
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Regent University prepares students with the knowledge to excel and the faith to live with purpose. Our 20,000 alumni, from more than 110 countries, are changing the world as accomplished professionals. Named a top-15 school nationally for online bachelor's programs (U.S. News & World Report, 2015), Regent is among the most affordable undergraduate Christian colleges (CCCU 2015). Fully accredited, challenging programs are available online and on campus. New classes begin every eight weeks.
- Certificate in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Certificate in Trauma
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will contain quite a few forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy websites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will need you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs that may be different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounter many instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Pflugerville, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pflugerville, TX reviewed by Lily MCDONALD on June 14.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.