Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Pinole, CA, you can expect to quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 annually making it one of the best paying medical-related professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pinole, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and decide on a school, you will need to think about all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured that you will be taught the full array of competencies necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders making it crucial that your course work is very diverse and not too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another very important component to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to others. In situations where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online training courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are frequently pushed aside as students undertake their education and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last factor you ought to look into prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many students complete the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Pinole, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being predominantly class-room training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administrated by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
Any person seeking an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the crime may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain many forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who may have needs that may be very different compared to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, since you will encounter plenty of instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Pinole, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Pinole, CA reviewed by Liam DAVIS on June 17.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.