After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Plantation, FL, you can expect to quickly discover that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistantwages is over $53,000 yearly making it one ofthe highest paying medical occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Plantation, FL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a school, it is important to think about all of your alternatives and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school thatfulfills all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain that you will be taught the full variety of competencies required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of issues and disorders so it is imperative that yourtraining is very diverse instead of too focused on a particular discipline.
Another important factor you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schoolsallocate considerably more time on your actual laboratory experiencewhen compared to the other training programs. In instances where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes will varyconsiderably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members tend to be pushed aside as students pursue their schooling and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor that you should take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their reviews were , and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Plantation, FL
- Earn a nursing degree focused on leadership & expanding technologies in healthcare
- SACS accredited with flexible options for Associate, Bachelor & Master degrees
- Regionally accredited private career university with degrees on campus or online
- Ranked #42 in 2018 Best Value Schools in U.S. News & World Report
- Ranked as a top school in the nation by the Military Times Best for Vets Colleges
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year beingmainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying outhands on training in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics , gerontology,clinical jargon , and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure onlyrequire a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapistlaunched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and facts
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers will have tobecome certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensure is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of themand can include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the transgression may be examinedand be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to containseveral forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy web sites . It is advised to take a very extensive look through thepaper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcriptsneeded ; notarized signatures and many States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients which have needsthat will be different the previous patient . You could be working in an outpatient facility with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills , a few of the basics such as following direction , keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, as there will bemany instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Plantation, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Plantation, FL reviewed by Faith CARROLL on June 9.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.