As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Poplar Bluff, MO, you are going to soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it one of the best paying medical-related occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Poplar Bluff, MO
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a training program, it is important to think about all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you will be taught the full range of techniques necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders making it crucial that your course work is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another significant feature to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual practical training as compared to others. In cases where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some online courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are often times driven aside while students carry on their training and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you might want to have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Make certain you find out how many people complete the program, what their comments were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Poplar Bluff, MO
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being primarily class-room training and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is controlled by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will include a number of forms to submit. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs that could be different compared to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Poplar Bluff, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Poplar Bluff, MO reviewed by Avery ELLIS on June 12.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.