Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Port Hueneme, CA, you will quickly discover that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 per year making it right there with the highest paying health care jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Port Hueneme, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are currently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a school, make sure that you examine all of the options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident that you will be taught the full range of competencies necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health problems and disorders making it really important that your training is very diverse and not too focused on a particular discipline.
Another really important factor you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, it is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to others. In situations where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of may vary significantly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. However, for many of us online training can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household can be pushed aside while students pursue their training and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you want to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many people finish the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Port Hueneme, CA
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will include several forms to submit. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy websites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will need you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who have needs that will be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Port Hueneme, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Port Hueneme, CA reviewed by Kent JORDAN on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.