As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Port Neches, TX, you are going to soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly making it among the best paying medical-related vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Port Neches, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to pick a school, make sure that you evaluate all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured you will be taught the full array of skills necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders so it is important that your course work is very extensive instead of too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another important variable to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual clinical experience compared to other training programs. In instances where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of the classes may vary significantly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are oftentimes pushed aside as students pursue their education and learning and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item that you have to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Port Neches, TX
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
The Texas Center for Massage Therapy is a member of the Steiner Education Group, which is a subsidiary of Steiner Leisure Limited, a global provider of spa services. Steiner Leisure Limited operates more than 175 spas and salons on cruise ships and at resorts worldwide. Steiner spas recruit from the Steiner Education Group schools.
Classes start November 13!
REACH HIGHER, GET HIRED
Take the step to get a new career today
SPARK SUCCESS WITH SCI
Southern Careers Institute has maintained a tradition of career training for over 50 years in Texas with campuses in Austin, Brownsville, Corpus Christi, Harlingen, Pharr, San Antonio & Online courses available to anyone, anywhere.
At SCI, we have made it our mission to provide our students with the training they need to be successful in a new career. We offer career training in Medical, Business, Skilled Trades, Cosmetology, & Technology programs. These certification-based programs are designed to make our graduates some of the most marketable job candidates.
We are Texas born, Texas proud.
The goal of Virginia College lies in its responsibility to its students, the technical and business communities, and the general citizenry. We have a long history of offering new direction to students.
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about two years, with the first year being predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will include several forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients which have needs which are often totally different compared to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, since there will be many instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Port Neches, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Port Neches, TX reviewed by Claire RICE on June 12.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.