Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Portales, NM, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it among the highest paying medical-related careers that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Portales, NM
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a school, make sure you consider all of your alternatives and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident that you will learn about the full variety of skills needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders so it is very important that your training is very wide-ranging and not too focused on one particular discipline.
Another really important feature you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to other schools. In situations where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary greatly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online training can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are oftentimes pushed aside while students continue their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you should evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Portales, NM
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In NM, licensing is handled by the New Mexico Board of Examiners for Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will contain quite a few forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients which have needs that may be completely different than from the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with kids who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Portales, NM that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Portales, NM reviewed by Lauren RAY on June 16.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.