As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Prescott, AZ, you will probably quickly discover that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying medical vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Prescott, AZ
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a school, it is important to evaluate all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be assured that you are going to be taught the full array of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders making it important that your course work is very diversified instead of too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, it is when you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual clinical training as compared to others. In cases where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary considerably from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for some people online classes can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members can be driven aside while students carry on their education and learning and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final item that you should look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many students finish the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Prescott, AZ
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Arizona, licensing is handled by the Arizona Board of Occupational Therapy Examiners. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
An individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will contain many forms to complete. You should not buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients which have needs which may be different than from the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, as there will be many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Prescott, AZ that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Prescott, AZ reviewed by Dylan STONE on June 6.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.