As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Reading, PA, you should soon see that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistantpay is greater than $53,000 annually making it right there withthe best paying healthcare jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Reading, PA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and select a training program, make sure that you think about all of your alternatives to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school thatsuits all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain that you will learn about the full variety of skills necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health problems and disorders therefore it is important that yourcourse work is very extensive instead of too focused on a particular discipline.
Another significant variable you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schoolsallocate substantially more time on your actual clinical trainingcompared to other schools. In instances where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class can varyconsiderably from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online training can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are sometimes driven aside as students continue their training and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you might like to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many students finish the program, what their evaluations were , and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Reading, PA
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels
- Courses taught by highly respected faculty members who are experts in their fields
- Competency-based ExcelTrack™ Programs may allow you to earn your degree faster and for less money
- Full range of student services: individual educational advising, hands-on learning through interactive online classroom, no-cost tutoring in math, science and writing
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting ofmostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent doinghands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics , gerontology,medical jargon , and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simplywant a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapistbegan their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers need tobecome certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensure is administrated by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of themand can include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be assessedand be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will containa number of forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted websites . It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through theforms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcriptsnecessary ; notarized signatures and several States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients which have needsthat will be totally different the previous patient . You may be employed in an outpatient facility with children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills , a couple of the basics including following direction , keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, since you will haveseveral instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Reading, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Reading, PA reviewed by Jayden RODRIGUEZ on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.