When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in River Falls, WI, you can expect to soon see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in River Falls, WI
The first step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to pick a school, you might want to examine all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident you will learn about the full range of skills required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders making it imperative that your course work is very diversified rather then too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison to others. In instances where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of may vary greatly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for some online training courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household can be driven aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last item that you should look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in River Falls, WI
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Divine Mercy University (DMU) is a Catholic graduate school of psychology and counseling, founded in 1999 as the Institute for the Psychological Sciences. The University is dedicated to the scientific study of psychology with a Catholic understanding of the person, marriage and the family. The University offers Master of Science (M.S.) and Doctoral (Psy.D.) degrees in Clinical Psychology, a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Psychology and a Master of Science (M.S.) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
- Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology
- M.S. in Counseling
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room training and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is handled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Someone seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain several forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients which have needs which may be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with young children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as you will encounter numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near River Falls, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in River Falls, WI reviewed by Alexis REYES on June 2.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.