As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Riverbank, CA, you will probably quickly learn that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 annually making it amongst the best paying health care professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Riverbank, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a school, make sure you think about all of your options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full array of skills required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders therefore it is really important that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important component you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison to other schools. In instances where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of can vary greatly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online training courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are often times driven aside as students undertake their training and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail you should examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many students finish the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Riverbank, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
An individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will contain a number of forms to submit. Never pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted websites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients that have needs that could be different compared to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Riverbank, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Riverbank, CA reviewed by Gabriel LEE on June 5.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.