Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Riverdale, GA, you are going to quickly realize that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually making it right there with the best paying health care vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Riverdale, GA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a training program, you will need to consider all of your alternatives to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain that you will be taught the full range of skills needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders therefore it is imperative that your schooling is very wide-ranging instead of too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual practical training as compared to other schools. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of will vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many people online training can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family will often be driven aside as students pursue their schooling and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last factor you might like to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are considering. Make certain you find out how many people finish the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Riverdale, GA
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administered by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will include several forms to complete. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients which have needs which are often totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, since you will have many instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Riverdale, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Riverdale, GA reviewed by Aubree PERKINS on June 16.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.