After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Robstown, TX, you will soon find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year making it one of the best paying healthcare careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Robstown, TX
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a training program, be sure that you think about all of your alternatives and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured you will be taught the full array of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders so it is essential that your course work is very diverse and not too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another significant component you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience as compared to others. In cases where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are often times pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you need to have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many students finish the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Robstown, TX
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to include quite a few forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted websites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who may have needs which may be different compared to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with small children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounter many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Robstown, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Robstown, TX reviewed by Xavier HENDERSON on June 9.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.