When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Safety Harbor, FL, you are going to quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it among the best paying health care occupations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Safety Harbor, FL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a training program, you will need to analyze all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured you will be taught the full array of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very diversified rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of can vary greatly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are often driven aside as students undertake their education and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you should look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Safety Harbor, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain quite a few forms to complete. Never pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs that may be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter many instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Safety Harbor, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Safety Harbor, FL reviewed by Katherine STEPHENS on June 14.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.