After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Saginaw, TX, you will quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 yearly which makes it among the highest paying medical-related jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Saginaw, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a training program, you will need to analyze all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be confident that you will learn about the full array of techniques required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is really important that your schooling is very diversified rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important component to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to other schools. In instances where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary considerably from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online training can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones tend to be driven aside as students pursue their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you might like to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Saginaw, TX
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to start their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will contain quite a few forms to complete. Never purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will need you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients which have needs which may be totally different compared to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Saginaw, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Saginaw, TX reviewed by Cooper JENKINS on June 3.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.