As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Sanger, CA, you will quickly discover that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the highest paying health care vocations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sanger, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to select a training program, you will need to examine all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain that you are going to be taught the full array of skills necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders therefore it is very important that your schooling is very extensive rather then too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another very important factor you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, it is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience compared to other training programs. In instances where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary significantly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many people online classes can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are frequently driven aside as students continue their training and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final factor you might want to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Sanger, CA
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will contain quite a few forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who may have needs which can be different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Sanger, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sanger, CA reviewed by Jayden MILLER on June 17.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.