As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Sebastian, FL, you are going to soon see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly making it one of the best paying medical occupations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sebastian, FL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to decide on a training program, it is important to evaluate all of the options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured you will be taught the full range of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders so it is imperative that your course work is very diverse and not too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another significant component to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual practical training when compared to other training programs. In cases where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for some people online training courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members can be pushed aside as students undertake their training and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you want to have a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many trainees finish the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Sebastian, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will include quite a few forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate web sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will want you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients that have needs which can be totally different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because you will encounter plenty of instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Sebastian, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sebastian, FL reviewed by Lucy PIERCE on June 16.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.