As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Selma, CA, you should soon find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 yearly making it right there with the best paying health care careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Selma, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a school, it is important to evaluate all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be confident that you will learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders making it essential that your training is very diversified rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another really important component you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual practical training when compared to other training programs. In cases where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of your class will vary considerably from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many people online training can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members tend to be driven aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last factor you need to take a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Selma, CA
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will contain numerous forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will want you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients that have needs that could be different compared to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Selma, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Selma, CA reviewed by William BROWN on June 4.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.