As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Seminole, FL, you will probably soon see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 annually making it one of the highest paying medical-related occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Seminole, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a school, you might want to analyze all of your options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be reassured that you will be taught the full variety of skills needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of health conditions and disorders so it is really important that your training is very diverse rather then too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual laboratory training as compared to others. In cases where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for some online training can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are sometimes driven aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you want to examine prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Seminole, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administered by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include several forms to submit. Never pay for these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate internet sites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs that will be totally different than from the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, because you will have plenty of instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Seminole, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Seminole, FL reviewed by Violet CARROLL on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.