After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Shorewood, WI, you should soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly making it right there with the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Shorewood, WI
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to decide on a training program, you might want to evaluate all of your alternatives and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full range of competencies needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health concerns and disorders making it really important that your course work is very extensive and not too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another really important factor you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to others. In situations where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of will vary significantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online training courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members can be driven aside as students carry on their education and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing that you should look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are considering. Make sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their observations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Shorewood, WI
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is administrated by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain quite a few forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted web sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients that have needs which may be totally different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter many instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Shorewood, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Shorewood, WI reviewed by Leah BOYD on June 6.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.