When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Simpsonville, SC, you will quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the best paying medical vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Simpsonville, SC
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and choose a training program, it is very important to evaluate all of the options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be certain that you will be taught the full range of skills required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health concerns and disorders making it very important that your training is very diversified rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another very important factor you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to other training programs. In situations where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary considerably from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are oftentimes pushed aside while students pursue their education and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you want to have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Always find out how many students complete the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Simpsonville, SC
- Keiser University Online
- Offering 100% online programs for undergraduate and graduate degrees at Keiser!
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about two years, with the first year being mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In South Carolina, licensing is handled by the South Carolina Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the transgression may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will contain several forms to complete. You should not buy these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many legitimate websites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who may have needs which can be completely different than from the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, since you will have several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Simpsonville, SC that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Simpsonville, SC reviewed by Stella SPENCER on June 16.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.