After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Snellville, GA, you can expect to soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the best paying health care occupations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Snellville, GA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a training program, make sure you analyze all of the options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain that you will learn about the full variety of competencies needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very diversified and not too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another very important feature to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual practical training when compared to other training programs. In cases where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online courses can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often driven aside as students pursue their schooling and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing that you have to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Make sure you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Snellville, GA
- Keiser University Online
- Offering 100% online programs for undergraduate and graduate degrees at Keiser!
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a healthcare facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is handled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the offense may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will include numerous forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients that have needs that could be completely different than from the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Snellville, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Snellville, GA reviewed by Peyton GRANT on June 17.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.