When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Snyder, TX, you will soon find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 annually which makes it amongst the highest paying health care jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Snyder, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to select a school, make sure that you think about all of your options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain that you are going to be taught the full range of skills required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health problems and disorders therefore it is really important that your course work is very extensive and not too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison with other schools. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes can vary significantly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online classes can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members can be driven aside while students carry on their education and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you might like to consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Always find out how many trainees complete the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Snyder, TX
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about two years, with the first year being primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to contain several forms to complete. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is advised to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who may have needs which are often very different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with young children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since you will have many instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Snyder, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Snyder, TX reviewed by Nicholas EDWARDS on June 2.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.