After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Soda Springs, ID, you will soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 per year which makes it one of the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Soda Springs, ID
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a training program, it is very important to analyze all of the options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you are going to learn about the full variety of skills required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders making it important that your schooling is very diversified rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another very important variable to take under consideration is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for many people online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are often times pushed aside as students pursue their education and learning and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you want to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their observations were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Soda Springs, ID
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In ID, licensing is administered by the Idaho Bureau of Occupational Licenses. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will contain many forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients that have needs which may be totally different compared to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with kids that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, because you will have several instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Soda Springs, ID that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Soda Springs, ID reviewed by Natalie CRUZ on June 5.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.