When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Soddy-Daisy, TN, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually which makes it one of the highest paying medical vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Soddy-Daisy, TN
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a training program, make sure that you analyze all of your options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain that you are going to be taught the full array of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of conditions and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too focused on a particular discipline.
Another significant factor you must consider is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual laboratory training compared to others. In situations where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online classes can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are sometimes pushed aside while students pursue their education and learning and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing that you have to consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are looking at. Always find out how many students graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Soddy-Daisy, TN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Physical Therapist Assistant - Associate
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room training and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is controlled by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will include several forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients who have needs which are often totally different compared to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with kids who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because you will have plenty of instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Soddy-Daisy, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Soddy-Daisy, TN reviewed by Colton HOWARD on June 13.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.