When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Solana Beach, CA, you will quickly find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly which makes it amongst the best paying health care occupations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Solana Beach, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and select a training program, it is very important to analyze all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured that you are going to learn about the full array of skills needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is essential that your training is very diversified and not too focused on a particular discipline.
Another very important factor you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison to other training programs. In instances where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online classes can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are often times pushed aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item you ought to consider before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure to find out how many trainees finish the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Solana Beach, CA
- Occupational Therapy Aide
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Substance Abuse
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administrated by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain many forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients that have needs which may be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with young children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be relatively physically fit, as you will have several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Solana Beach, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Solana Beach, CA reviewed by Eli TURNER on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.