Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Soledad, CA, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying health care careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Soledad, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and choose a training program, make sure you think about all of the options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain that you will be taught the full array of competencies needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of issues and disorders so it is really important that your training is very extensive rather then too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another important component you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison to other training programs. In cases where your school is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class sizes. The size of may vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for some people online courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are oftentimes driven aside while students continue their schooling and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you should check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many students complete the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Soledad, CA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administrated by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to include quite a few forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many legitimate sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients which have needs which may be very different the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, because you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Soledad, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Soledad, CA reviewed by Thomas RICHARDSON on June 2.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.