Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Somerset, KY, you will probably soon see that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly which makes it amongst the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Somerset, KY
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a school, it is important to examine all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident you will be taught the full array of skills necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of conditions and disorders therefore it is important that your course work is very diverse rather then too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another really important component you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience compared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of the classes can vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family will often be pushed aside while students carry on their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last item that you should have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Somerset, KY
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers must become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Kentucky, licensing is administrated by the Kentucky Board of Licensure for Occupational Therapy. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will include numerous forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needs that will be completely different compared to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, as there will be several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Somerset, KY that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Somerset, KY reviewed by London SIMS on June 3.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.