After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in South Daytona, FL, you will probably quickly realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it among the best paying health care vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in South Daytona, FL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a training program, make sure that you examine all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be assured that you will be taught the full variety of skills necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders therefore it is really important that your training is very wide-ranging rather then too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another important feature to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual clinical experience compared to others. In instances where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of can vary considerably from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are often driven aside while students undertake their education and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail you want to check out prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in South Daytona, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical center or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will contain several forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many legitimate web sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who may have needs which may be totally different the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near South Daytona, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in South Daytona, FL reviewed by Ellie HARPER on June 9.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.