After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in South Houston, TX, you will soon see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 annually which makes it right there with the best paying medical-related professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in South Houston, TX
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a school, you will need to evaluate all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you are going to be taught the full array of techniques required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders making it very important that your course work is very extensive rather then too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another very important variable you should think about is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to the other training programs. In situations where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical teaching, make sure to find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary considerably from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online classes can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household can be driven aside as students undertake their schooling and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you want to look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in South Houston, TX
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will have to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will contain a number of forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needs which can be completely different than from the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, because you will have plenty of instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near South Houston, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in South Houston, TX reviewed by Sofia MARSHALL on June 15.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.