As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in South Orange Village, NJ, you are going to soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly which makes it among the highest paying medical professions that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in South Orange Village, NJ
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a training program, it is very important to think about all of your options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain you will be taught the full variety of skills necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders making it imperative that your schooling is very wide-ranging instead of too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another significant factor you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is where you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual practical experience compared to other schools. In situations where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of will vary significantly from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for some online training courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household can be driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing you should consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Always find out how many trainees finish the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in South Orange Village, NJ
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- And more...
- Programs include Bachelor of Science in Human Services, Bachelor of Science in Psychology in Addiction, and more.
- Approved as an education provider by the National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors (NAADAC).
- Courses cover topics such as addiction science, assessment, prevention, and treatment.
- Students learn how to identify, plan, and use resources to help improve client situations.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In New Jersey, licensing is handled by the New Jersey Occupational Therapy Advisory Council. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the transgression may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will contain many forms to fill out. Do not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who may have needs that may be very different compared to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with small children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near South Orange Village, NJ that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in South Orange Village, NJ reviewed by Joseph ROBINSON on June 5.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.