When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in St. Augustine, FL, you will quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year which makes it one of the highest paying healthcare jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in St. Augustine, FL
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a training program, you will need to evaluate all of the options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you will learn about the full range of techniques needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders so it is very important that your schooling is very diversified instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual practical training in comparison to others. In cases where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for many people online courses can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members will often be driven aside while students undertake their training and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing you might like to check out prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in St. Augustine, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Master of Science in Occupational Therapy - Bridge Program
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mainly class-room training and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will include quite a few forms to complete. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate internet sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who may have needs which are often totally different compared to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as there will be many instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near St. Augustine, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in St. Augustine, FL reviewed by Piper FRANKLIN on June 3.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.