When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in St. Marys, GA, you are going to soon find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the highest paying healthcare jobs that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in St. Marys, GA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a school, it is very important to consider all of your alternatives and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured that you will learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders making it really important that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another really important component you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual practical experience when compared to others. In instances where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary considerably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members tend to be driven aside while students carry on their education and learning and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing that you should consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in St. Marys, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom training and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administrated by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will include a number of forms to submit. You should not buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted web sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs which are often very different compared to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with infants who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, because you will have many instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near St. Marys, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in St. Marys, GA reviewed by Alexa STONE on June 16.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.