When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in St. Marys, GA, you are going to soon find that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the highest paying healthcare jobs that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in St. Marys, GA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a school, it is very important to consider all of your alternatives and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that meets all your needs.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured that you will learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of ailments and disorders making it really important that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another really important component you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual practical experience when compared to others. In instances where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary considerably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members tend to be driven aside while students carry on their education and learning and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing that you should consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their observations were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in St. Marys, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom training and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administrated by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will include a number of forms to submit. You should not buy these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted web sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who have needs which are often very different compared to the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with infants who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, because you will have many instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near St. Marys, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in St. Marys, GA reviewed by Alexa STONE on June 16.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.