As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in St. Marys, WV, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly making it among the best paying medical-related professions that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in St. Marys, WV
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and pick a school, you might want to evaluate all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be assured that you are going to be taught the full range of skills needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders therefore it is important that your schooling is very wide-ranging instead of too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another significant factor you should consider is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to others. In cases where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to consider is the class size. The size of the classes will vary considerably from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. However, for some people online classes can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones will often be pushed aside as students pursue their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item that you have to evaluate before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Always find out how many students graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in St. Marys, WV
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In WV, licensing is administered by the West Virginia Board of Occupational Therapy. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will include quite a few forms to fill out. You should not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted web sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who may have needs that will be completely different than from the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, as you will encounter many instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near St. Marys, WV that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in St. Marys, WV reviewed by Arianna DANIELS on June 4.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.