After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Starkville, MS, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it one of the highest paying health care occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Starkville, MS
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and select a training program, be sure that you think about all of your alternatives to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you can be confident you will learn about the full variety of techniques necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of issues and disorders so it is really important that your schooling is very diverse and not too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another significant feature you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate considerably more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to the other training programs. In instances where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for many people online courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are sometimes driven aside as students pursue their schooling and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you want to evaluate prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many students complete the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Starkville, MS
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers have to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Mississippi, licensing is administrated by the Mississippi State Department of Health. Even though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include quite a few forms to submit. Never buy these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who have needs which may be very different the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with infants that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounter numerous instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Starkville, MS that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Starkville, MS reviewed by Ryan PHILLIPS on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.