When you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Sterling, IL, you are going to quickly see that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year which makes it among the highest paying medical occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sterling, IL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and select a school, you will need to examine all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain you will learn about the full array of skills required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health conditions and disorders so it is really important that your course work is very diverse instead of too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another very important feature you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to the other training programs. In situations where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of may vary considerably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online training can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are often pushed aside as students pursue their training and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue that you have to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many people finish the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Sterling, IL
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Illinois, licensing is administrated by the Illinois Occupational Therapy Board. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will contain a number of forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who may have needs that will be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with small children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because there will be several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Sterling, IL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sterling, IL reviewed by Alexis REYES on June 15.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.