When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Stoughton, WI, you will probably quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related professions that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Stoughton, WI
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a training program, it is very important to examine all of your options to make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your needs.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident that you will learn about the full array of techniques required to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders making it important that your schooling is very diversified rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another important component you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual clinical training as compared to others. In instances where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of the classes may vary greatly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some online classes can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members tend to be pushed aside as students continue their schooling and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you should take a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Stoughton, WI
- Occupational Therapy Aide
- Physical Therapy Aide
- Substance Abuse
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom training and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is handled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will include many forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable sites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needs that may be very different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with young children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will encounter many instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Stoughton, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Stoughton, WI reviewed by Aubree PERKINS on June 13.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.