When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Sugar Hill, GA, you can expect to soon see that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year which makes it right there with the highest paying health care vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sugar Hill, GA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and pick a school, you will need to examine all of your options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain that you will be taught the full range of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders therefore it is very important that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another really important variable you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you will interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience compared to other schools. In situations where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary significantly from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for many people online training courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household will often be pushed aside while students carry on their education and learning and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you should have a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many students finish the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Sugar Hill, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- View Associates, Bachelors or Graduate Degree Programs in Psychology Near YOU!
- Enter YOUR Needs and Requirements. Get Matched to the Perfect Campus or Online Degree Programs for You.
- Free information for Psychology, Counseling Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- Accredited, Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a hospital facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is handled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the crime may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will contain many forms to complete. Never pay for these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted web sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients that have needs which may be completely different compared to the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Sugar Hill, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sugar Hill, GA reviewed by Carlos BRYANT on June 11.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.