Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Sulphur Springs, TX, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 yearly making it among the highest paying health care occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sulphur Springs, TX
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and decide on a training program, make sure that you think about all of your options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be assured that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health concerns and disorders therefore it is very important that your schooling is very diverse and not too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience compared to other training programs. In cases where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to think about is the class sizes. The size of can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some people online training courses can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family will often be driven aside while students undertake their schooling and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you need to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Sulphur Springs, TX
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year being mostly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administered by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will include several forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy internet sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients that have needs that could be completely different than from the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with kids who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, because there will be many instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Sulphur Springs, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sulphur Springs, TX reviewed by Anna MORALES on June 2.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.