After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Susanville, CA, you will probably quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly making it one of the highest paying medical professions that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Susanville, CA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a training program, make sure you think about all of your options to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain you will be taught the full array of techniques necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health concerns and disorders making it crucial that your training is very wide-ranging and not too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, it is where you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online training can relieve many of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often pushed aside while students continue their education and learning and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you ought to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are considering. Be sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Susanville, CA
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Therapy Health Technician
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will contain numerous forms to complete. Do not buy these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many reputable sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who may have needs that will be very different than from the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Susanville, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Susanville, CA reviewed by Luke BAKER on June 4.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.