As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Sweetwater, FL, you are going to soon see that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually making it one of the best paying medical careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sweetwater, FL
The first step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and decide on a training program, it is very important to consider all of the options and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident that you are going to learn about the full array of skills necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders so it is essential that your course work is very diversified instead of too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another important factor you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual practical training when compared to the other schools. In situations where your school is not investing large amounts of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you ask why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of can vary greatly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online classes can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are frequently driven aside as students carry on their schooling and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you should take a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many people complete the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Sweetwater, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Ranked among the Best Online MBA Programs by U.S. News and World Report in 2015.
- Founded in 1890, it has a campus in Waterbury, CT and offers online degree program in eight-week modules, six times a year.
- About 800 students are enrolled at the main campus, and about half of them commute.
- Online courses make it possible for students to earn a bachelor’s degree in as little as 18 months and a master’s degree in 14-24 months.
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
- A.S. - A.H. - Mental Health Technology
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about two years, with the first year being mostly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administrated by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. While every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
An individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to contain many forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients which have needs which can be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with kids who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Sweetwater, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sweetwater, FL reviewed by Bailey CUNNINGHAM on June 2.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.