Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Sweetwater, TX, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly which makes it one of the best paying medical-related professions that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sweetwater, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a school, it is very important to think about all of the options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident that you will learn about the full variety of skills needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of issues and disorders making it imperative that your schooling is very diverse instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another important variable you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual practical training when compared to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of can vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online classes can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones will often be driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing that you should take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Always find out how many students complete the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Sweetwater, TX
We keep education relevant by employing instructors with real-world experience in the field, who bring their career backgrounds to the classroom. Our programs are continually assessed by faculty, staff and members of the business and education communities to help ensure your studies align with your career goals. Programs offered by Brightwood College focus on local employment needs, in areas such as allied health, nursing and technical and professional programs.
- Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom training and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain several forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who may have needs that will be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with young children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, because there will be several instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Sweetwater, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sweetwater, TX reviewed by Brayden NELSON on June 9.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.