Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Sweetwater, TX, you will probably soon realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly which makes it one of the best paying medical-related professions that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sweetwater, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a school, it is very important to think about all of the options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident that you will learn about the full variety of skills needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of issues and disorders making it imperative that your schooling is very diverse instead of too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another important variable you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual practical training when compared to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of can vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online classes can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones will often be driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing that you should take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Always find out how many students complete the program, what their evaluations were, and how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Sweetwater, TX
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom training and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is controlled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain several forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who may have needs that will be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with young children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, because there will be several instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Sweetwater, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Sweetwater, TX reviewed by Brayden NELSON on June 9.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.