As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Terrell, TX, you should soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it one of the highest paying medical vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Terrell, TX
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a school, you will need to analyze all of the options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be confident you will be taught the full range of techniques required to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of ailments and disorders therefore it is essential that your schooling is very wide-ranging and not too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual clinical experience compared to other schools. In cases where your school is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of the classes may vary significantly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online training courses can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are frequently driven aside while students undertake their education and learning and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last item that you have to look into before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many students graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Terrell, TX
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of mostly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers must become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that is going to contain numerous forms to fill out. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate web sites. It is important to take a very in depth look through the paper work before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who have needs which can be completely different compared to the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient clinic with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, because you will encounter numerous instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Terrell, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Terrell, TX reviewed by Alyssa HOLMES on June 2.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.