Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in The Colony, TX, you should quickly realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying medical-related occupations that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in The Colony, TX
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and select a school, be sure that you consider all of the options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your requirements.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident you will be taught the full variety of skills necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders making it important that your training is very extensive rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another important variable you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual practical training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of the classes can vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some online training can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are oftentimes pushed aside as students continue their education and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you need to consider before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make certain you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in The Colony, TX
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom training and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will include many forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many legitimate web sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will want you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients who have needs that could be completely different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with infants that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, as there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near The Colony, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in The Colony, TX reviewed by Brad FOSTER on June 6.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.