As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in The Woodlands, TX, you are going to soon see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U .S . Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistantwages is over $53,000 yearly making it one ofthe best paying healthcare careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in The Woodlands, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and decide on a training program, make sure that you analyze all of the options and make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school thatfulfills all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be assured you will learn about the full range of techniques needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of issues and disorders making it crucial that yourtraining is very wide-ranging instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another very important feature to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schoolsdesignate significantly more time on your actual laboratory trainingwhen compared to the others. In situations where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure that you ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of will varysignificantly from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Yet, for many of us online training courses can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are sometimes pushed aside while students continue their education and learning and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail that you should have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Always find out how many students graduate from the program, what their comments were , and how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in The Woodlands, TX
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting ofprimarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent doinghands on training in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics , gerontology,health care jargon , and physical rehab. All States that require licensure onlywant a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapistlaunched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers mustbecome licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensure is administered by the Texas Occupational Therapy Association. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of themand include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the crime may be evaluatedand be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will includea number of forms to fill out. Never buy these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites . It is advised to take a very in depth look through thepaper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcriptsneeded ; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who have needswhich are often totally different than from the previous patient . You may be employed in an outpatient facility with infants who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills , a couple of the basics including following direction , keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, because there will benumerous instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near The Woodlands, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in The Woodlands, TX reviewed by Savannah GORDON on June 9.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.