When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Thomasville, GA, you will soon realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it one of the highest paying medical careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Thomasville, GA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy School. There are currently almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a school, you might want to think about all of your options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident you will be taught the full array of skills required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of ailments and disorders making it really important that your training is very diverse instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant feature you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you will interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools dedicate considerably more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to other schools. In situations where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of may vary significantly from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are often times driven aside while students pursue their education and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you should evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Always find out how many people complete the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Thomasville, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a healthcare facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is administrated by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
A person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will contain several forms to fill out. You should not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needs that could be different the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with infants that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since there will be plenty of instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Thomasville, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Thomasville, GA reviewed by Taylor ROBERTSON on June 6.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.