After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Trumbull, CT, you can expect to quickly realize that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is greater than $53,000 yearly making it one of the highest paying medical jobs that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Trumbull, CT
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and select a training program, be sure that you think about all of your alternatives and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be certain that you will learn about the full range of competencies required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders so it is essential that your course work is very extensive rather then too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another very important variable to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical training when compared to other training programs. In cases where your training program is not spending a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of your class will vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members will often be pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last item you might like to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Always find out how many people complete the program, what their evaluations were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Trumbull, CT
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 24 months, with the first year being primarily class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Connecticut, licensing is controlled by the Connecticut Department of Public Health Occupational Therapy Licensure. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person seeking an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the offense may be assessed and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will contain numerous forms to complete. You should not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients that have needs which may be very different than from the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with toddlers who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be relatively physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Trumbull, CT that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Trumbull, CT reviewed by Sean SMITH on June 12.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.