Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Two Rivers, WI, you can expect to soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 per year making it right there with the best paying health care vocations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Two Rivers, WI
The first step toward a career as an OTA is finding the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to decide on a training program, make sure you consider all of your options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your needs.
Details You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you are going to learn about the full variety of competencies necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders so it is very important that your schooling is very diversified instead of too focused on a particular discipline.
Another significant variable to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools allocate considerably more time on your actual clinical training when compared to other schools. In situations where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class may vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are often driven aside as students pursue their education and learning and online classes may offer a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last factor you ought to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Be sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Two Rivers, WI
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a medical center or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is controlled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain a number of forms to complete. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a range of patients who have needs that may be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient clinic with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, as you will have several instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Two Rivers, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Two Rivers, WI reviewed by Nevaeh RAMOS on June 5.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.